Sunday, March 11, 2007

Catch Me If You Can


Today we went to a neighboring school's field to run track and field. There is a competition this next and we're getting ready. The field is probably a little larger (maybe one and a half times) than a full size track, made into a circle. The whole school was there, ready to run, ready to race, ready to have fun! By the time we arrived, most students had finished their warm-up running. I joined the stragglers on the last lap. When I reached the rest of the group, Teacher Michael said all the students wanted to run one more lap with me! After already running 6?! Of course I said YES and took off. I think they were surprised to see me running. I kicked it up a notch, the children screamed to catch up, and two little boys came up behind me panting, "You will never leave us behind!" "Catch me if you can!' And then they totally beat me. That was fun. Surrounded by adorable screaming children. I'm ok with being surrounded by them. They don't suffocate. And they don't stare. They just love and smile.

Let the games begin! We practiced racing, javelin, and discus. I even raced with one group of girls, much to everyone's excitement. I think I am out of shape. Those little girls whooped my butt! And they loved every minute of it. I could see it in the girl's eyes that was standing right next to me. It didn't matter if she was first,
as long as she was before me. J

My favorite part, however, was sitting with the students just watching, enjoying everyone. And why not start a little political debate. I surveyed the children about their thoughts on Museveni (M7 as they write it in the papers) and if they think Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya will really become one East Africa country in 2011. I'm really impressed with those little 6th graders. Great debate. Most thought Museveni was good. Some thought he was bad. All agreed that he has been in power too long and they need another president. One student in particular, Joshua, had much to say, citing the fact that other leaders wanted M7 to step down before the E. Africa elections, but he didn't think he would. I loved it. They were all crowded aroun
d, bright eyed and eager to add to the conversation. I can imagine that is what Socrates felt like. J Not that I am in any way comparing myself to Socrates. But I just had a moment when I realized that the students were actually interested in what it was we were talking about and were leaning in closer to be a part of the conversation. Desert Storm was my 6th grade year. So it's not too much to ask a 6th grader to be interested in politics, but I was impressed with the responses from everyone. Especially my darling little Joshua who's favorite thing to do at home is graze his cows and milk them.

Then it started to rain, and when it rains, it POURS. One little boy, Nimrod (I smile every time I think about his name), ran up to catch my hand and run toward shelter together. Today was a good day. I think they are becoming more comfortable with me. I think they are letting me into their hearts. It's days like this when I think I might actually have an impact on one or two children, despite my short time of being here.

No comments: