Monday, March 19, 2007

Perfect Teeth Polly



I had 400 toothbrushes and toothpastes donated to the kids here at AAH. This week we did a Health Education lesson on brushing your teeth and general mouth health, then gave out the toothpastes and toothbrushes. Remember at girl's camp, where you would do the skit where one person was the body and head, and then another person standing behind him was the arms? So that's what we did for the Perfect Teeth Polly skit. I was, obviously, Perfect Teeth Polly. J and Amy was my arms. We taught the kids how to brush their teeth and then demonstrated. Amy did a great job of brushing my chin and cheeks and getting toothpaste all over the place. The kids loved it. Total success, especially with the older kids. The younger ones were a little confused I think…but they still laughed.

Half of the kids were using the toothbrushes they had donated from a year ago. The other half were using sticks. Apparently, if you don't have a toothbrush, you can take a stick and chew the end of it until it becomes soft and fibrous. They brush in the river, which is a great way to get a friendly amoeba. If you don't have toothpaste you can use a mixture of salt and baking soda. Some of the kids said they brushed their teeth with sand. We thought that wasn't the best idea. It has never crossed my mind to use a stick to brush my teeth. I would never have even thought of such a possibility, but this is their reality.

When I announced we had toothbrushes and paste for everyone, you should have heard the whoops and hollers. I haven't had any crazy dreams or any depression, but maybe this larium is making me more emotional. I had to fight back a few tears the first couple of times we passed out the little gifts. When did you ever get so excited about a travel size tube of toothpaste? So much so that you would have thought I had just announced I was giving everyone a million dollars. I wish you could have seen their little faces. They lit up like Las Vegas Neon signs, eyes wide, hands excitedly clapping, bodies so happy they couldn't stay still (some children were literally dancing in their seats), and hollers and yells of joy only a truly grateful heart can utter.

These kids. They have stolen my heart. I can't hardly look at their perfect brown faces, shaven heads, giant eyes, button noses, and full lips without smiling. They look up at me, grinning as wide as the ocean. I am always struck by the contrast between their dark chocolate skin and their bright white teeth, which only makes me fall in love with their little smiles all the more. One flash of those teeth and I am won.

Thank you to the Allen family for generously donating all of the dental supplies to these deserving children. You would openly weep to have seen how grateful they are to you. I gave some extras to the cooks and janitors and grounds keepers. Such a small thing as toothpaste was a HUGE gift even to these tough grown men. I think these people are so happy in their hardships because they are so grateful for what they do have. I think they focus on what they do have instead of always thinking of what they don't have.

By the way, I highly recommend Colgate Total clean mint paste. I think it might be my new favorite toothpaste flavor.

No comments: