Monday, April 2, 2007

If I Could Be Any Animal (Day 2)

I would be a cheetah. But that comes later. Day 2, I woke up early, took a stroll, and settled in the canvas camping chair outside my room to write in my journal.

"As I sit here, 7:10 in the morning in the
canvas camping chairs on my front porch I'm watching a giraffe far in the distance. He
's a tall black figure against the yellow grass and purple hills. Solitary, moving slowly and majestically. I've already seen a baby impala and the air is thick with the chatter of birds. I can see the sun through their wings as they flutter up from the grass like one giant heartbeat. The people are still sleeping, but the world has awoken. I've decided morning is my favorite time of day. I need to be awake for more of it. I'm in love with this place. This has been the most incredible trip. Yesterday was indescribable. I'm already searching for ways to stay longer! When I'm rich and famous… The rising sun casts long slender shadows on the trees and highlights the glistening grass and I can't believe I'm here."

I had toast with my omelet for breakfast. Two whole pieces. I could already tell it was going to be a good day.

Today was the all day safari drive; we left at 9:00, ate a pack lunch in the bush, and didn't return until 4:00. Our first sighting was a male lion watching us watch him, another eating breakfast in the grass (which was too tall for us to see him properly) and a little cub hiding in the bushes. Ask and ye shall receive. Just the day before I had said "Now I just want to see a lion with a huge mane!" We pulled up next to another safari car of about 6 youngish men. They immediately started taking pictures of us instead of the lion! I asked where they were from: Chile, Korea, and ITALY! I knew it. I love how I find my Italians in the most random places in the world.

Down the road a bit, Julie had to "go for a short call" as they say in Uganda. Here we are in the middle of the park, nowhere near a bathroom, and she's dying to go. Justice about had a heart attack, but she jumped out and went in the bush. Be fast! Don't close the door! Hurry! Is anyone coming! Don't close the
door! I think she set a new world

record for the short call. I'm still trying to figure out how that was humanly possible.

More GIRAFFES. Like I said, I never tired of my spotted friend. This time there were over 7 all chomping on the same acacia tree. Justice took us off-roading for a closer peek. We love Justice. I'm not doing a good job describing how phenomenal it was to see a "gilaffe" 5 feet from the van, and then watch all 8 of them walk right by us. I could watch them all day long. Justice was always pointing out the male and female animals. "Justice, how can you tell which is which?" Thinking he would say something about skin or color he seriously responded, "I can see all the male organs". That one takes the cake.

If I could have seen only one animal, I would pick the cheetah. We had to work for this one. And when we found them they were off the road, so we couldn't stay long. Justice could have been fined if they found us. There were three sleeping under a few trees. I would die to see one run, but I'll take whatever I can get! This is when Justice taught us "actually, it is good to fear the law – you can land in jail because of not fearing the law".

Impalas, all kinds of birds, vultures alla Jungle Book, warthogs, more elephants (I never tired of the elephants either), giraffes on the Tanzanian side of the park (the Serengeti) and then the Mara river to see the hippos and "clocodiles". This is the only place you can get out of the vehicle. Martin, our ranger-man, took us to see the point where the wildebeests cross the Mara River every year and then to the biggest crocodile these eyes have ever seen. In all of the Masai Mara Park, who should we find walking back from the hippos, but our Italian friends! This time I couldn't pass up the chance to chat. Antonio and I were destined to be friends.

In all of the Masai Mara Park, whom should we park next too for lunch, but my favorite Italians in Kenya! There was no escaping it. It would have been too perfect if we were staying at the same lodge.

On the way back to the lodge we saw baboons, more elephants, stopped to give some rangers a lift, chased a lilac-breasted roller or "relac-breasted loller" according to Justice down the road and passed our Italian friends one more time.

Next on the agenda: the Maasai village.

No comments: