Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Preacher Will Now Bless the Children

Distance is relative. I once asked a woman where her church was. "It is near near (when the say that, you know you are in trouble). Just up. Not even an hour's walk!" AN HOUR?! And that is supposed to be "near near".


We left the house at 10:00 headed for Nandutu Doreen's church. She's a student in P6 and her father sent me a note inviting me to come for church (he's the pastor) saying the Sunday school had been practicing songs for 3 weeks now to welcome us. How can you say no to that? I was under the impression it was just in the next town, a 30 minute walk away. Just near near. I have since learned my lesson. That was the point where we turned off the main road and then climbed the mountain for an hour. We didn't reach the church until 12:30…much delusioned. I thought we would never reach. Even before we came into view of the church, I could hear the singing and feel the drums beating. We were greeted into the little one-room mud church by a room full of jumping, clapping, dancing, singing, yelling men, women and children. I was overwhelmed with the excitement the little church poured upon us. Pastor Patrick introduced one lady as the head of the mothers. She prayed for us, thanking God for sending us, the first visitors they have ever received in their church. I'm not surprised at all we were the first! You must really want to praise God to walk 2 and a half hours up a mountain to go to church.


Doreen's Sunday school group ran out of the church to prepare for their presentation. All of a sudden, 16 children marched through the back door carrying giant guns made of banana tree stems and fibers. We're talking serious guns! It was actually quite disturbing, then I understood they were singing about being the army of God. Ok, it was still disturbing! I love the dancing, the singing, the drums, the well placed Hallelujah or yell. They sang, "Welcome, Teacher Hollie. Welcome Teacher Julie. Welcome!" The last song was traditional. At the very end two little girls, no more than 8 years stepped forward and danced up a storm! They do this thing with their shoulders where they move them up and down incredibly fast – like the Tahitian hip dance, but with the shoulders. It's incredible. Then the women of the congregation presented 4 songs. At the end of the last song, Pastor Patrick leaned over to me and said "After this, you will address the congregation." I will do what?! I swear, everywhere I go I have to "give a word". But a spiritual sermon to a Born Again church?


So Preacher Hollie got up and gave a word.
J I read the story of the man of palsy. Faith heals us. Faith will show us a way when it seems to be blocked. Belief in the power of Christ will give us the strength to climb the roof and come through another way. When others are too weak to carry themselves, we can be their support and bring them to Christ. I would say a sentence, Patrick would translate, the congregation would give an Amen and I would continue. I cried. I am such a baby here! I cry over the littlest things. It's so embarrassing! I closed with Philemon 3-5. I'm so impressed with the faith of the people here. They strengthen me.

At the end of the service, Patrick had all the children face the door and kneel. Now comes my favorite part. I hear him say "And now the preacher will bless the children." Excuse me? Does he mean me? Bless the children?! What, does he want me to touch their heads, give some apostolic blessing? He turns to me, HANDS ME A BABY and says "Now you will pray" bowing his head. So what can you do? I prayed and blessed the children.


We left the church is 4 pictures from the church photographer, a million handshakes from all the children, a few kisses of babies, and 2 big bags of avocados, 1 bag of peanuts, 6 eggs, one giant papaya, half a jug of milk, 1 bag of bananas plus another bunch, and two live chickens. Yeah, try carrying that down a mountain for 2 hours.


4 hours round trip – and totally worth it. They made me feel like a queen. Like I was someone important – someone very very loved. And hey – Teacher Hollie is now Preacher Hollie. You can't beat that.

No comments: